The PROTEAN i12 IEF system is designed for isoelectric focusing (IEF) proteins in immobilized pH gradient (IPG) strips for the first dimension of two-dimensional (2-D) electrophoresis. The PROTEAN i12 IEF cell can run 1–12 IPG strips in 7, 11, 13, 17, 18, or 24 cm focusing trays. Each channel in the isoelectric focusing tray is independently powered, enabling precise control over each IPG strip. This feature makes it possible to run different sample types, different pH gradients, and multiple protocols simultaneously.
Features and Benefits of the PROTEAN i12 IEF System
• Optimize experiments in fewer runs — the PROTEAN i12 IEF system has the unique ability to run channels under multiple conditions in a single run. Different samples, protocols, and pH gradients can be run simultaneously.
• Obtain higher-quality data with less experimental risk — each channel is independent, so one irregular sample can no longer compromise the entire run.
• Easy, intuitive programming — easily run, create, and edit isoelectric focusing protocols from the touch screen user interface. Preprogrammed protocols stored in the internal memory serve as a convenient starting point for developing optimized sample-specific IEF conditions.
• Run gel side up, gel side down, or with loading cups — focusing trays and electrode assemblies accommodate all possible gel configurations.
Applications and Uses of the PROTEAN i12 IEF System
Isoelectric focusing is the first dimension of 2-D electrophoresis, a powerful technique used for the visualization and identification of proteins. The PROTEAN i12 IEF system can be used for a number of applications including the following:
• 2-D electrophoresis and analysis
• Protein profiling — analysis of complex protein mixtures
• Biomarker discovery — discovery/identification of specific targets and markers
• Functional proteomics — structure, interactions, and function
PROTEAN i12 Reporter, a free web-based application found at www.i12reporter.com, can be used to upload run data files, view electronic profiles for individual lanes, and compare sample profiles from different runs. The application can be used to generate reports, print graphs, and create protocols. Protocols created with the application can be transferred to the PROTEAN i12 IEF cell using a USB flash drive.
Bio-Rad offers a complete selection of products to simplify your 2-D electrophoresis workflow and ensure high-quality results. Select from optimized kits and reagents for protein sample preparation, including kits designed for protein sample cleanup to remove contaminants from your samples prior to 2-D electrophoresis. Select the best ReadyStrip™ IPG strip pH gradient and strip length options for your applications. For comprehensive solutions and suggestions for 2-D gel issues, see Troubleshooting 2-D Gels with 2-D Doctor™. Watch the 2-D Tutorial Video to learn how to run great 2-D gels with practical tips from the proteomics experts at Bio-Rad. Bio-Rad’s PDQuest™ 2-D analysis software provides tools for comprehensive and flexible 2-D gel electrophoretic analysis.
Visit the Applications & Technologies pages to learn more about protein electrophoresis and the unique 2-D electrophoresis technologies found in Bio-Rad instruments.